Coaming & Cabin Re-Surfacing
1. Except for a few rot spots, the existing base wood is solid.
2. Rather than replace wood, elect to use strip-planking for veneer.
3. Although it is a great material, cost for this much kayak bead & cove is a budget buster!
4. Have some extra, pretty clear 2" cypress hanging around.
5. Ripping to 1/4 inch and double bevel @ 45 degrees.
6. Penetrating epoxy applied to both sides.
7. Steaming still required. Using a kayaker trick - wrap in wet towel and heat with clothes iron.
8. Staple & glue each strip.
9. Fair to suit.
10. Paint with traditional color scheme for catboats, white