Edson Oscillating / Worm Steering System
1. Several coats of epoxy on the original rudder, hoping it will handle stress.....
2. Not much to do with the steering system, just add varnish and grease
3. Appears Mr. Edson was a prolific inventor
4. This patent dates from 1873
5. Constructing new operational rudder; keep original for show. Why you ask?
a. Restored boat doesn't quite fit rudder.
b. Experience of other boaters is that this design, when aged, can leave you rudderless.
c. IMHO The original rudder should be retained as an artifact.
6. Design will be similar but dimensions sized to Valiant as restored.